North Liberty firefighters battled a kitchen blaze early Tuesday morning.
According to an NLFD news release, firefighters were called to a building fire at 1440 Greyson Lane at 2:15am. A North Liberty Police Officer was the first to arrive and confirmed visible smoke coming from the front door and could see fire through the rear window.
As North Liberty fire units arrived, firefighters found a fire in the kitchen. Firefighters knocked the fire down quickly, keeping it from extending to other parts of the residence. As the fire was knocked down, crews worked to extinguish hot spots. All residents were alerted by working smoke detectors and were out of the building prior to the fire department’s arrival.
Firefighters from Solon, Coralville, Iowa City and Tiffin assisted in the effort. Crews were on the scene for just under two hours. The cause of the fire was overheated cooking oil on the stove surface.
Damage is estimated at $40,000.